All applications are sifted by the White Rose Alliance and the university partner linked to the course applied for. The following factors can affect how long it takes for a decision to be made on each application:
- the time of year your application is made
- the number of other applications for the same course
- the number of places available
- decisions from other interviews for the same course
The WRA Interview Process
The interview process for applications for our 2023/24 courses will be conducted in person.
Following a successful application sift, candidates will receive an email detailing the interview process, advising of a date for a interview & containing relevant documents. Should the proposed interview date/time not be convenient for the candidate, we can of course, make alternative arrangements.
Candidates will be required to provide/complete the following information/documents:
- Complete an online Safeguarding Information for Teacher Training declaration form (YSJ candidates only – to be completed before interview)
- Photo ID (photo of passport ID page or photo driving licence)
- Complete an initial subject audit form
- Electronic portfolio of own work (Art & Design/Design & Technology (non- Food Technology) applicants only)
- Lesson plan & resources for short teaching/learning activity to be presented to 6 of our year 7 students.
Candidates will be required to participate in the following activities:
- Subject test: 45 minutes Leeds Trinity University & York St John University course applicants/30 minutes Sheffield Hallam University course applicants (no subject test for Art & Design/Design & Technology applicants except D&T Food Technology applicants)
- Subject specialist discussion/portfolio review: 20-25 minutes for Art & Design/Design & Technology (not Food Technology) applicants only
- Written communication/literacy task: 45 minutes Sheffield Hallam University course applicants/20 minutes York St John course applicants only
- Formal interview: 30 minutes
- Teaching/Learning activity: 20 minutes Candidates should prepare a lesson plan & resources for a short teaching/learning activity for a small group of students.
The subject specialist discussion, teaching/learning activity & formal interview will take place at King James’s School
Candidates will be informed of interview decisions as soon as possible. All offers at this stage are conditional & are only official once they have been confirmed on Apply.
Standard conditions of any offer from interview are:
- verification of degree & GCSE Maths/English qualification certificates
- successful application to obtain enhanced DBS clearance
- successful completion of a medical questionnaire
Additional conditions may be added to an offer should they be considered required. The requirement to complete any additional conditions will be discussed with the candidate before the offer is made. Feedback from interview is available on request.